Wednesday, July 5, 2006

To be or not to be (vegan)

A few days ago, I was standing in line at one of my favorite restaurants waiting for my lunch order so I could take it back to my desk. (I was at Medicine, waiting for my tofu rice bowl.)

I saw a brochure about vegan food on the table next to me and flipped through it. I shouldn't have. The photographs I saw ruined my appetite.

I know we should all be more responsible about the choices that we make. What we eat can change the world (that's no exaggeration - you can read “Fast Food Nation” if you want to know more.)

Fact: eating lower on the food chain is better for the planet.
Fact: animals suffer tremendously before being slaughtered. The conditions they live in are horrific. (I'll spare you the details.)

I know being a vegan is the right thing to do.

So, why don't I do it?

I have three (admittedly lame) answers:
  1. I really like certain non vegan foods such as cheese, milk, eggs and prosciutto. (You can see why this would be a problem.)
  2. I don't want to be too much of a picky eater. Being a vegan is such a huge commitment.
  3. I'm not sure it's good for my health. Do humans need animal protein?
And here are my reasons to give it a whirl:

Shouldn't we be consistent with our behavior and our beliefs?
Shouldn't I put my food where my mouth is?

No comments: