Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Mists and mellow fruitfulness

I promised my mother that in observation of her birthday I’d post mom stories throughout November. However, I need to briefly interrupt this series to ask a question.

Let me back up.

Autumn is my favorite season of the year.

To be completely honest, I fall for the charms of all four seasons. Spring, with its flirtatious colors and the first hint of longer days. Summer, seductive with its broad display of produce and extra vacation time, and winter, with its cozy clothes and generous sprinkling of holiday cheer.

What I’m saying is it’s possible I’ve said in earlier blog entries that another season is my favorite. If so, chalk it up to my fickle nature and disregard it. It’s all about autumn.

To begin with, I love that autumn is earthy. I love fall foliage. I love that it starts to rain. It’s the perfect time to prepare a cup of tea, take a blanket into the living room and read stretched out on the sofa in front of the fireplace.

I love that instead of flowers I use pumpkins as decorations around the house. I love that this is the time of year where I buy a big wreath I use as centerpiece on my living room table.

This season, more than any other, reminds me that I’m a member of the animal kingdom. I get an irrepressible urge to gather and store food for the winter. This means I shop for vegetables, chop them and make industrial amounts of soup, which I then freeze and use in the months ahead.

Unfortunately, it also means this is the time I get the hungriest. There is so much food around, and my body seems to want to prepare itself for the brutal, harsh months ahead (forgetting that I’m in Northern California and that I spend most of the week indoors.)

So my question is, is it me, or does autumn make you eat more?

3 comments:

Tessitore di Sogno said...

Autumn is also my favorite season of the year, it happens to bring my birthday, Halloween and a lot of special stuff that nicely fill my life.

As a woods lover I do really enjoy the color of the leafs in brown/deep green and the way that they slowly fall from the trees while the wind is caressing my face, and tough I am not totally sure whether magic is real or not, I think this is the closest moment I have been from it.

According to your question, personally I get more sentimental in this season, as a good Scorpio I am a very sensible person so I think this whole "nature-gifts" make the utmost nostalgic experience, perhaps that's the explanation that we get in the mood for consuming more food ho! ho!.

Miguel Cane said...

One needs to start saving up the cals for the oncomin' winter...


much love to both.

Anonymous said...

By coincidence (or perhaps as a result of our pumpkin-free UK upbringing) Emma and I both find pumpkin foods fairly disgusting and have no problem avoiding them. Except that is when our very kind (and very persistent) neighbors give us pumpkin pie. What should one do with a pumpkin pie that one really does not plan to eat?