Saturday, May 5, 2007

Anything at all


If I could wish for anything at all, I’d take my entire family (including my family on my husband’s side) and move them closer to me. Not super close, like next door. Also, not super close to each other. But, comfortable driving distance – say, two hours away. We could visit often and sending them things wouldn’t be hard so I’d surprise them with packages in the mail. I would send my mom books we could discuss and I’d send my dad a big box full of glasses because it makes me crazy that his keep getting chipped. I’d throw in a bottle of the whisky he likes so he could put at least one of the glasses to good use right away.

I wish I could be tele-transported. I’m sick of going through customs at the airport. I mean, taking off my shoes? Ick. Plus, I often want to be somewhere else, usually to eat something I liked in a restaurant in, say, New York. But, I want to be in my own bed right after dinner.

If I could be granted any wish I would have one of those pieces of furniture the Chinese used for herbs or medicines – those that have rows and rows of small drawers. I’d keep good feelings in them, so I could take one out whenever I wanted to re-live what the good feeling felt like.

I would definitely want a superpower. Maybe several. I’d like to fly, because I love heights, but I don’t like speed, so I’d fly around slowly. I’d also stop time. Or make it go faster. You know how time flies when you’re having fun? It wouldn’t.

If I could wish for anything at all, Luca would get to play soccer with his favorite team (Inter Milan.) I would blindfold him and take him to the stadium and then uncover his eyes. Maybe I’d let slip a few hints beforehand to avoid any possibility of a medical emergency. Also, I’d get him a Toyota Prius, the car of his dreams.

I wonder if it would be greedy to wish for the ability to reverse Global Warming. I mean, how far can I take this wishing thing?

And, is it not sad that even when I’m playing with the thought of asking for whatever I want I’m afraid to wish too big?

I definitely need more practice.

7 comments:

Miguel Cane said...

Dear Dushka:

I've also wished I was prone to be teleported... it's been a dream for a long time.

You know, I wish I could bring back my dead from the grave and tell them that I am doing O.K. and that everything turned out just right.

A chance to hear their voices again, that would be a plus.

I wish I could get all the films I have not seen again and that I remember fondly or those I wanted to see but never could, and that are, for a variety of reasons, unavailable anywhere.

I wish I could have some sort of magic wound, to undo any wrong ever done.

I wish I could write something for you...

wait, that I can.

Much love,

M

PS: Hi, Luca!

Dushka said...

If you could undo every wrong you've ever done, you'd be a completely different person. I'd like you to stay the way you are. It's just right.

Anonymous said...

Wishlist
Pearl Jam

I wish I was a neutron bomb, for once I could go off
I wish I was a sacrifice but somehow still lived on
I wish I was a sentimental ornament you hung on
The christmas tree,
I wish I was the star that went on top
I wish I was the evidence, I wish I was the grounds
For 50 million hands upraised and open toward the sky

I wish I was a sailor with someone who waited for me
I wish I was as fortunate, as fortunate as me
I wish I was a messenger and all the news was good
I wish I was the full moon shining off a camaros hood

I wish I was an alien at home behind the sun
I wish I was the souvenir you kept your house key on
I wish I was the pedal brake that you depended on
I wish I was the verb to trust and never let you down

I wish I was a radio song, the one that you turned up
I wish...
I wish...

Dushka said...

Pedro - esta padrisima! Fui a itunes a oirla y me encanto. I wish I was as fortunate as me too.

Anonymous said...

I wish I could bring her back. Or, time back.

Anonymous said...

At the risk of sounding like an advert for one of my clients, I am coming to the conclusion that video is the answer to your dreams (and mine).

Video lets the dead rise. Video lets you re-live good feelings. Video lets you talk to your mum like she's in the same room.

Of course, video doesn't solve the New York dining experience-and-straight-to-bed, nor the surprise package thing, but I'm sure someone's working on that.

Anyway, I'm a hypocrite as I don't have a Webcam, but I'm going to get one, and I'm going to record more videos! Let's ALL get webcams and hang out more!

Dushka said...

David, I'll bring our camera to videotape your wedding.