Friday, December 22, 2006

New Year Resolution Guidelines

I like to pick simple resolutions. If you can’t keep them past February 15, what’s the point?

“Drink more water” was the 2004 resolution.
“Read more nonfiction” was 2005. (Now I hardly ever read fiction. I lost my taste for it.)
“Use sunscreen every day” was 2006.

On years where I’m feeling enterprising, I pick more than one. “Sleep eight hours a night most nights” or “see my family more”.

One of my favorites was “do one new thing a month”. Being an animal of habit, I get nervous when Luca, in an attempt to avoid traffic, takes a shortcut, altering our usual route to work. This resolution encouraged me to try rock climbing, which I now love, ride a bicycle and join a gym, not to mention branch out when going to restaurants, even ordering dishes I wouldn’t have initially considered.

I have two resolutions for 2007 (well, two that I’m comfortable sharing.)

The first one: take a multivitamin. Based on my research I go back and forth on the merits of doing so but the general consensus is that it’s a really good idea. (Just make sure it doesn’t have too much vitamin A, and that if it has iron and you have small children in the house they can’t get to it.)

The second: eat less sugar. Not no sugar, just less. Call me a chicken, but I don’t think I would have picked to do this without a chance to practice. Besides choosing a simple resolution, sometimes I start early just to determine if it’s something I can truly commit to. I wouldn’t want to let myself down.

Bring on the New Year.

No comments: